- 2 large (about 1 1/2 pound) sweet potatoes or yams, washed, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium-sized onion, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper and cayenne to taste (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Place the grated sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water. Simmer for 2 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the grated onion, beaten eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper(s). Mix well.
Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place a small amount of batter into the oil. When it is hot enough to sizzle, spoon in the batter, forming thin pancakes about the size of a half-dollar with a spatula. Keeping the heat medium-high, fry on both sides until uniformly crisp and brown. Drain the finished pancakes on paper towels (do not stack them) and keep them warm in a 200 degree F oven. Serve hot with sour cream and/or applesauce.