- 1/4 cup yellow squash, medium dice
- 1/4 cup zucchini, medium dice
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, medium dice
- 1/2 cup eggplant, medium dice
- 1/4 cup onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, medium dice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato juice, canned
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- Bouquet garni (celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
- Salt and black peppercorns
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread vegetables evenly in one layer on a sheet tray. Roast until vegetables take on some color. (Roasting the vegetables concentrates their natural flavors; however moisture is lost, so a small amount of liquid should be added.)
Sauté onions, garlic, and peppers. Add tomato paste and cook slowly to develop a little color. Add fresh tomatoes and tomato juice.
Add roasted vegetables and bouquet garni to sauté pan. Cover and simmer slowly until vegetables are moist but not soupy. When finished cooking, remove bouquet garni, add fresh basil, and correct seasoning.