- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Sauté the onion in the butter in a large saucepan over low heat until the onion is tender. Add the squash, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Cook over low heat as the squash releases its moisture. Add water if necessary. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring as often as needed to prevent scorching. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Stir half the crumbled crackers and the bell pepper into the squash. Spoon into the baking dish. Pour the half-and-half over the squash mixture and sprinkle with the remaining crackers, cheese and pecans. Bake for 20 minutes or until the half-and-half is absorbed, the squash is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve hot.