- 1 package Soyrizo
- 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp powdered mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp New Mexico chile powder
- 3-5 Hatch peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 oz smoked cheddar, shredded
- 6 oz jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp kosher or coarse salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 5 Hatch peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
Hatch Corn Salad
- 5 Hatch peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 4 Heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 2 ears roasted yellow corn, cut off the cob
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp herbs de Provence vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat saute pan to midium-high heat and saute Soyrizo for ten minutes and in a large pot of salted boiling water cook pasta to al dente and set aside.
In a separate pan melt 3 tablespoons of butter, whisk in the flour and mustard powder, continue to stir for five minutes to eliminate all lumps. Slowly stir in milk into roux, then add onion, bay leaf, paprika, chile powder, and first batch of Hatch peppers. Simmer for ten minutes and remove bay leaf. Temper in the eggs, then stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in penne and Soyrizo into sauce and then pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Lay Hatch strips on across casserole and sprinkle remaining cheese. In a small saute pan melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and toss with bread crumbs, then top casserole with bread crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes, then allow casserole to rest for five minutes before serving.
While casserole is baking prepare Hatch Corn Salad. Mix peppers, tomatoes, corn, and shallot together in a mixing bowl. Create a vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar, mustard powder, agave syrup, and salt and pepper. Once combine slowly dizzle olive oil into the bowl and continue to whisk until all ingredients are combined. Lightly dress the vegetables with vinaigrette and serve along side of the casserole.