- 4 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk, heated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp Spanish paprika
- 3 oz Jamon Serrano, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten with a little water
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Additional olive oil for frying
Heat the oil in a pan and saute minced onions until transparent. Stir in the flour and cook 1 to 3 minutes. Add milk, stirring briskly with a whisk. Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir in the jamon. Spread mixture into a dish and refrigerate until solid, about 3 hours.
Place the beaten eggs in one dish, the breadcrumbs in another. With moistened hands, form the chilled mixture into balls or cylinders. Dip each croqueta first in breadcrumbs, then in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs again, taking care that they are well covered.
Heat olive oil in deep fryer and fry the croquetas a few at a time, until golden, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.